Ok, so the main reason I made this post is to really see who reads my blog. I’ve had a statistics program installed, which didn’t really tell me anything, then when I tried to get Google Analytics to work, it broke my blog. So, instead of trying to get another statistics program installed, I figured I would just write a post and ask everyone who really reads my blog to comment on it. So yea, that’s why this is here.
However, just so you guys don’t feel like you’re getting jipped, I’ll still give you 6 of my favorite free software downloads that work on both MAC and PC.
6. Blender (www.blender.org) – model • shade • animate • render • composite • interactive 3d. Blender is the free open source 3D content creation suite, available for all major operating systems under the .
5. Scribus (www.scribus.net) – Scribus is an open-source program that brings award-winning professional page layout to Linux/UNIX, Mac OS X, OS/2 and Windows desktops with a combination of “press-ready” output and new approaches to page layout. Underneath the modern and user friendly interface, Scribus supports professional publishing features, such as CMYK color, separations, ICC color management and versatile PDF creation.
4. Inskscape (www.inkscape.org) – An Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format.Inkscape supports many advanced SVG features (markers, clones, alpha blending, etc.) and great care is taken in designing a streamlined interface. It is very easy to edit nodes, perform complex path operations, trace bitmaps and much more. We also aim to maintain a thriving user and developer community by using open, community-oriented development.
3. GIMP (www.gimp.org) – GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.It has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc.GIMP is expandable and extensible. It is designed to be augmented with plug-ins and extensions to do just about anything. The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image manipulation procedures to be easily scripted.
2. Open Office (www.openoffice.org) – OpenOffice.org 3 is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose.
1. Ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com) – Ubuntu is a community developed, Linux-based operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. It contains all the applications you need – a web browser, presentation, document and spreadsheet software, instant messaging and much more.
Really the best part about all of these, is you could put Ubuntu on as your operating system, and then run the rest of them and have some very good, very useful programs all for free! I’m still looking for a free video editing program to use instead of Final Cut or Adobe Premiere. If any of you guys know of one, let me know… and don’t forget to leave a comment and let me know you actually pay a small amount of attention to my blog!