I’ve heard this phrase used many times when someone is feeling down and upset over something they can not control. Ultimately someone may come along and say “Suck it Up!” and then proceed to tell them there are better things they could be doing, etc, etc… Well, this time I’m not using this phrase in that way. When I say “Suck It Up” I mean it literally. For instance, are you tired of having a belly that is bigger than you would like (such as mine…) well, Suck It Up! By just sucking in your stomach and holding it in for 15 – 30 seconds multiple times throughout the day, you will help to strengthen your Transverse Abdominus muscles (TVA), which will help you have a slimmer waistline!
And to help you out even further, here are a few more suggestions to help you get more exercise throughout your work day, especially if you have a desk job like me.
1. Park farther away – By parking farther away at the grocery store, walmart, the mall, work, or anyway you go, you force yourself to walk more, which will burn more calories and burn some of the unwanted fat off your body!
2. Take the stairs – If you work in a building that has more than one floor (like I do), then make a pact to ditch the elevator and only take the stairs. Just like walking farther, the stairs will burn more calories, help get rid of the fat, and if you do it enough, they could even get your heart rate up and provide a small amount of cardio (i.e. exercise for your heart).
3. Deliver messages personally – If you need to send a message to someone, instead of using email or the telephone, deliver the message personally. This will give you more walking (and maybe more stairs?) and will give you even more opportunities to exercise (and you will also get to know your coworkers better!).
4. Make an Appointment – Set time aside each day to take a break from sitting, and walk around your building. You can use this time to check your mail, deliver messages (number 3), or just get some air. When you come back to your desk you will not only have had extra calorie burning time, but you will also be refreshed and ready to finish out the day strong!
5. Change your Attitude – Maybe one of the most important things when attempting anything is your attitude. If you approach weight loss with a negative or indifferent attitude, chances are you will not accomplish your goals. However, if you have a positive and cheerful attitude, you will feel much better, and will be more accepting of the things you will need to do in order to accomplish your goals.
If anyone can think of any other suggestions to help remain physically active while at work, you can post them in the comments below. Also, check out this website which may give you some ideas of exercises you can do while on your breaks!